Job Opening: Our Place Summer School Director, New York City
Status: 40 (full-time) hours a week (June 29-July 3, July 6-10, July 13-17, July 20-24, July 27-31, August 24-28, 2020); training begins January 2020
Time Frame: Review begins now, position open until filled.
Biocitizen Inc. is a nonprofit educational institution that specializes in Field Environmental Philosophy [FEP], a peripatetic way of teaching students how to read the natural and cultural history of their biome. Our Place Summer School gets kids off the screen and into the green; it’s Biocitizen’s keynote program.
View this year’s program here.
The Our Place Summer School Director teaches FEP while being responsible for managing logistical, administrative and pedagogic aspects of the Our Place program. This challenging and rewarding position requires “people skills,” physical stamina, creativity, and a devotion to nurturing our future environmental leaders. Working for Biocitizen is more than a job one punches a clock for; it is a mission that allows one to participate directly in the transformation of culture – the “greening of the machine.”
Though Biocitizen can make no guarantees, the Assistant Director will be hired with the objective of building a school in New York like the one in Los Angeles that has developed a year round operating schedule. Biocitizen is looking for a person to undertake this objective, by creating and acting on opportunities that achieve it.
- Lead teachers and students into the field to practice FEP
- Ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants
- Direct and mentor teachers
- Communicate with parents via email, text and vis a vis daily
- Oversee the registration process and generate rosters
- Work with teachers to critique and improve FEP pedagogy
- Develop FEP curriculum
- Network with local organizations, schools, experts, etc. to expand FEP and Biocitizen opportunities and general Biocitizen presence and notoriety
- Contribute to public relations via website and social media
- Support fundraising events
- As needed, support and participate in other development efforts as they relate to fundraising, special events, and outreach
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to accomplish organizational goals
- Participate in regular board meetings and meetings with the Executive Director and Directors of other Biocitizen schools
- Perform other similar duties as required (by responsibility or necessity) or as requested
REPORTING and SUPERVISION
This position reports to the Executive Director. The Our Place Summer School Director supervises teachers, interns and volunteers.
- Understands that Biocitizen is a vehicle of positive cultural change and the position requires a significant amount of energy, genuine interest and enthusiasm, and going the extra mile; this position is for someone who wants to “save the world”
- Love of working with children is mandatory
- Environmental studies teaching experience is a real plus
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively and independently as needed
- Solid writing skills with the ability for occasional quick turn around
- Experience and comfort with event planning
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, email marketing software, and social media
- Trained in / willingness to obtain Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and Red Cross Lifeguarding certifications
- One to three years’ teaching and/or outdoor education experience
- Desire to learn more about field environmental philosophy
- Excellent driving record
- Spanish fluency
- Experience with grant-writing
Hours and compensation: $18-$22/hour. When Our Place is in session, this is a full-time, non-exempt position. Biocitizen is a small and growing nonprofit that will this year transition from a contractor- to employee-based corporation. It does not presently offer health insurance.
Writing samples and references may be requested.
Biocitizen, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to:
Biocitizen, Inc., 1 Stage Road, Westhampton, MA 01027
Thank you for your interest in working with Biocitizen. We love it here and think you will too.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances in administration of our employment policies, as well as in administration of our educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school‑administered programs.